Pearlescent pigments are produced on basis of mica coated with metal oxide. The pigments have unique optical properties and are semi-transparent. The application in decorative paints, cosmetics, plastic, paints & coatings, artificial leather, printings, special paper and others.
The Structure & Basic Optical Principle
When Pearlescent Pigments are used as colorants for plastics or masterbatches, the user must understand theproperties of Pearlescent Pigments, and make correct production process arrangement. Then you could get satisfied and most beautiful colors. Generally speaking, the production of Pearlized masterbatches and colored masterbatches are similar, but there are some suggestions during the application as below:
1. Temperature resistance of pearlescent pigments: up to
2. It can bring out the widest spectral purpose by blending the pearlescent pigments with other transparent dyes or pigments, while avoid blending the pearlescent pigments with other opaque pigments.
3. Suggest to blend other transparent dyes or pigments evenly before adding the pearlescent pigments in them.
4. Avoid blending different codes of pearlescent pigments.
5. Forbid grinding the pearlescent pigments.
6. Forbid stirring the pearlescent pigment for a long time in high speed blender.
7. Suggest to stir the pigments with transparent or semi-transparent plastics resins evenly before pouring them.
8. The additive proportion of pearlescent pigments and plastics resins is: 1:10~3:10(according to the different requirements).
9. Suggest to use single screw extruder, while avoid using double screw extruder.
Pearlescent pigments are mica coated with various metal oxides that creat unique
The coating of Titanium Dioxide on mica results in silver and interference colors like
gold, red ,blue and green. The coating of Titanium Dioxide and/or Iron Oxide
results in metallic colours like gold, bronze and copper.
The luster effect in the finished products varies with the particle size of Pearlescent
Pigments used. Smaller particle sizes impart an opaque and satin sheen, while larger
particle sizes create a transparent and sparkle effect.
Pearlescent pigment can be used in various industries, such as paints and coatings, cosmetics, plastics and master batches, printing inks, textile printings, rubbers, papers as well as building materials etc.
Proper Application is very important in getting satisfied color effects.
1. Avoid using with opaque pigments.
2. Avoid mixing complementary interference colors
3. Forbid grinding pearlescent pigment pigments.
4. Forbid using high-speed blender for long playing.